61 ⨯ 35 ⨯ 10 cm
- About the artworkSokkel 35 x 10 cm
- About the artist
Kobe, artistic alias of Jacques Saelens, was a Belgian sculptor whose work has touched peoples’ lives all around the world. He created his own style of sculptures, shaping figures that are instantly recognizable.
Two themes dominated his creations: the female figure in all its simplicity and mystery, and the horse as a symbol of strength, companionship, and connection.
Fascinated by the ancient cultures in Central and South America, Africa and Asia, Kobe travelled around the world to develop his artistic vision. Each one of his creations is therefore preceded by a long journey of study, passion, and awareness. They are of the highest quality and appreciated by critics for their unique form of combining the broad, wide and the thin, narrow. His sculptures are often compared to those of Fernando Botero and Marino Marini.
Kobe did not overcomplicate or inject his art with hidden meanings. Instead he was in constant search of simplicity, purity, and beauty. Through his works of art Kobe brought feelings to life for the world to enjoy: happiness, affection, love, and friendship.
• Born in Kortrijk (Belgium) on 4 September 1950.
• Studied sculpture at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Kortrijk (1969-1977) as well as plastic arts, specializing in sculpture at St.Lucas Ghent and St. Lukas Brussels (1972-1974).
• Teacher in sculpture at “Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Kortrijk (1977-1978)”, “Academy of Fine Arts in Deinze (1979-1995)” and “Academy of Visual Arts in Harelbeke (1990-1994).
• Lived and worked in Pietrasanta (IT) since 1995, close to the bronze foundries and close to the Carrara marble quarries.
• His oeuvre was exhibited in numerous national and international galleries and art fairs, including Robinsons Art Gallery (Knokke-Zoute, BE), Morren Galleries (Utrecht, NL), Europ’Art (Genève, CH), Miart Milano Art Fair (Milano, IT), London Art Fair (London, GB), Miami Art Fair (Miami, Florida, USA), KunstRAI (Amsterdam, NL) and Gallery Beaux Arts (London, GB).
• Passed away in Saint-Julien, Var (FR) on 26 October 2014 at the age of 64.